The Glam Grind Girls take Tour De Fat.
Having the chance to listen to live music, drink good beer, and bike with thousands of other people in costume is definitely an amazing way to spend Labor Day weekend. The Fat Tire Tour de Fat festival is in its 18th season, and this past weekend Grace and I loaded our bikes and road tripped up to Fort Collins (Colorado). If you have never experienced a day festival before, I would say this is a good place to start. With 33 different shows country wide and ticket prices starting at $28, it's perfect for those who want to attend festivals but can't afford the high prices. Not to mention New Belgium partners with many non-profits and has donated over $4.5 million since their first year.
The festival started out with a bike parade that would put most Halloween parties to shame. Grace and I did a Dressed in Disney take over dressed as Cruella DeVil (101 Dalmatians) and Ursula (The Little Mermaid) because villains have more fun. As you are riding through the streets, people gather on their lawns handing out candy and beer while blasting music for mini dance offs. If you love people watching, this is the place to be, and it is fun for the whole family. The parade lasted roughly two hours, and that left us with three hours to grab lunch and check out the town.
The party continues at New Belgium Brewery with non-stop entertainment. Their delicious beers can be purchased from various tents and for only $5. Throughout the festival, you can find people playing yard games and checking out the two stages. The stages have multiple musical acts, as well as live entertainment. When we got hungry in the evening, we headed over to the food trucks serving some delicious, local grub. We never ran out of something fun to do, whether it was hula hooping or dancing with new friends. One of my favorite parts of dressing up for events is having the ultimate conversation starter. Check out my DIY to see my tips on how to make a costume for under $30 in under a week (coming soon).
I wrote up a timeline of our day to give an idea of what a day festival consists of.
- 10AM- Bike Parade! Ride around and talk to people! Stop by houses playing music handing out free beers and selling sweet treats (a lot donate the money to participating charities).
- 12PM- Lunch at Illegal Pete's on the rooftop.
- 1:30PM- Dance party inside and outside of The Yeti in downtown Fort Collins.
- 3PM- Doors are open at New Belgium Brewery. Time to wander and explore the festival. Both stages starting live music.
- 3:40PM- Fashion show at the main stage followed by Imagine Circus performers.
- 4:20PM- Beer refills and hula hooping in front of the Sputnik Stage.
- 5:30PM- Time to hit up the food trucks for a tasty bite.
- 6PM- Headliner X Ambassadors take the stage.
- 7:10PM- Yard games and mingling.
- 7:40PM- The nights ending Headliner All American Rejects (my highschool self was ecstatic).
You will notice the lack of pictures from the day, but we decided to go phoneless for half of the festival so we could be more present and enjoy the artists without technology stealing too much of the show. If you haven't gone technology free, I highly recommend trying it at your next concert/event and notice the difference it can make. If you have been to Tour de Fat before, leave a message in the comments and tell us about your experience!
Didn't make Tour de Fat this year? Check out New Belgium Brewery to stay in the loop for next years and to find out more information!